Top 10 Must-Have Addons for WoW
Addons are unique because they are personal and everyone can choose his own UI but we can agree that there are addons that are a MUST for every player. Some might just find them now so here are 10 of the must-have addons in World of Warcraft for any type of player regardless of your main priorities – raider, farmer, pvper.
We couldn’t imagine playing WoW without knowing what our performance is. Whether it’s healing or tanking or dpsing. Recount is the top tool and a must-have addon. It measures DPS, Healing, Damage Taken and it has the ability to produce graphs, scales and pie charts and is able to go into the very detail of your combat performance
Another popular alternative to Recount is Skada – https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/skada
2. Deadly Boss Mods
Deadly Boss Mods or DBM is the most downloaded and most widely used addon out there. To current date it has more than 157 million downloads ranking it the top addon in the world. It provides raiding, dungeon and PVP information of the instance you are in and what cooldown timers the current encounter has.
Popular Alternative: BigWigs: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/big-wigs
OmniCC is a simple addon but the game still relies on it. It provides a beautiful cooldown timer on your action bar buttons. That’s it! Ingenious and invaluable.
4. Bartender/RazerNage – Action bars altering addons
The movement for using the built-in Blizzard UI and bars is strong even in 2017 but you would always want to tweak this and that. If you strictly are a fan of the Blizzard action bars but you still want to move things around, maybe the addon for you is Move Anything
RazerNaga (even if you don’t have Razer Naga mouse) https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/razernaga
Move Anything: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/move-anything
This must-have addon puts the secret Treasure locations directly onto your map and mini map and also gives info on where to find it like “in cave – entrance 56 42”. It has a main module and little modules for every expansion and every hard special location. If you want the one for Pandaria and Draenor, you are in luck – they work perfect
Main addon (required): https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/handynotes
The rest: https://mods.curse.com/search?game-slug=wow&search=HandyNotes
Rarity is an addon that gives you info on what drops from where and it tracks the number of tries. It also has a beautiful animation, once you have found a rare trackable item and it puts it into a Feat of Strength frame with the number of tries it took you
Postal is a simple but invaluable addon. It gives some functionality to your otherwise ineffective mailbox. It automatically autocompletes alts and characters from your friendlist so you don’t have to type manually and the most important feature -> There is a Open All button which makes this addon an absolute MUST
Now this is an addon that you cannot live without. Everyone has an alt. Even if it’s not a fighting alt, it is a bank alt. Forget about logging off, logging in with one of your alts to search for this cloth or ore. You can now do it from Altoholic. Altoholic adds who else of your characters has this item when hovered and adds it as a tooltip. It also has an auction house-like interface which allows you to search for items, achievements, dungeon progress, collective gold, total played time and so much more. A trully must-have addon
Although NPCScan has been greatly nerfed in the 6.X patches in Draenor due to mechanic of caching monsters, NPCScan is still, to date in Legion, invaluable addon to track down Rares. It also has the ability to show spawn locations and lists of all rares in the zone. You can also add custom NPCs to the addon so you are alerted when near/clicking.
And you will also need: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/npcscan-overlay
10. Titan Panel
This is an old school addon that not everybody uses but if you try it, it’s narcotics. It provides a panel on top of your screen that helps you keep track of:
- Location with coordinates
- Gold with the ability to show total gold, gold per char, gold per hour
- Session details – What’s your played, how much you have played since logged in, how much exp/hour, est. time to level
- Bags – It shows your bag status. For example – 132/136. You are close to being full and you will know it right away
- Lag – It has the ability to show you your ping and fps right onto your screen
- Slick design – it is very slick and small in design. Doesn’t cut any portions of your screen unnecessarily
- Much more
Titan Panel: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/titan-panel
11. Prat 3.0
Prat is a must-have chat addon. On its own, Blizzard chat has little functionality. With prat you have the ability to:
- have timestamp on the chat, important for seeing yells from rares and chats
- Have the role of the person chatting
- Put class colors
- Copy/Paste links!
- Much more
Prat 3.0: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/prat-3-0
Bagnon is a very popular addon. I personally, don’t want my bags split but all of my friends do and use this addon. Extremely popular
13. Raid Achievement/Overachiever
Overachiever is an addon that will show tooltips when you click on something and will tell you if there is an achievement associated with it. Also provides some functionality to the Achievements interface
Raid Achievement is an addon that will tell you if you have failed progress on an achievement. For example, you are doing Lich King and you need to know when the ghosts achievement is ready, the addon will print it out in chat.
Raid Achievement – https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/raidachievement
TomTom is your WoW GPS. It has the ability for you to input coordinates and a big green arrow will lead you there while saying how much you have left until your destination and is also showing the yards remaining to the target. If you are questing or doing achievements or trying to get somewhere and you are browsing Wowhead.com, almost every comment has ready pathways for TomTom. Just right click on your map or use a command /way 54 23 or /way 54 23 Northern Barrens and that’s it! On top of that the addon works in integration with other addons, such as Archy – the Archaeology assistant.
Profession based –
- Ackis Recipe – Provides insight on how many recipes you have obtained for your profession and where to find your missing recipies. Although with Legion, the Blizzard UI for Professions has the “Unlearned” tab, Ackis is still better equipped.
All Ackis addons: https://mods.curse.com/search?search=Ackis+Recipe+List
- Archy – Archaeological assistant – TomTom integration, invaluable for those doing any kind of Archaeological digging.
- Fishing Buddy – If you fish, absolute must-have. Tracks catches, allows casts with right click, autoquip of angling gear, auto-turn in quests, auto applying of bait
Fishing Buddy: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/fishingbuddy
Battle Pets –
- PetJournal Enhanced – It enhanced filtering functionality to the Pet Journal. A must-have definitely
PetJournal Enhanced: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/pet-journal-enhanced
- PetTracker – Tracks your progress and missing pets when you enter the zone. It has the ability to display all pets and their spawn locations on the map with search and filtering options. Warns you if the pet in the battle is worth catching if better than yours
- BattlePet BreedID – for the maniac Pet hunters, it shows the possible breeds of a pet
- PetBattleMaster – Provides the functionality of creating teams of pets. Absolutely necessary addon
Unit Frames –
- Gladius – PVP unit frames showing opponents in arena/BGs, trinket statuses, names, new enemy announces
- Grid – Compact and useful Raid unit frames. Does not provide player/target unit frames
- Z-Perl – The popular successor to X-Perl. Magnificent Player, Target, Group and Raid UI. My personal choice for UI
- Tidy Plates – 2nd most popular Unit frame addon. It’s used by many streamers and wow Pros. Check it out!
Tidy plates: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/tidy-plates
- Healbot Continued – Automation raid frames. Can use key mouse combos macros and etc. Configurable. Most downloaded Unit Frame addon in the world
- SCT – Damage – A real old school hardcore addon. 10 years old and still updated and used. The first customized scrolling combat text
MikScrollingBattleText – The most popular scrolling text in the world. Very customizable, you will see it in videos and streams by Pros.
- Quartz – Quartz is a cating bar, a bar showing the swings between autoattacks, Quartz is everything you need
- Parrot 2 – Parrot is a highly customizable scrolling combat text capable of not only make your combat text pretty but also show overkill damage, show overhealing, remove overhealing, show only effective heals coming into the target and most of all it has the ability to summarize all AoE damage. For example, if you do a Divind Storm it will show you the collective damage to all targets. This can be turned off as well
Parrot 2: https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/parrot2
- SavedInstances – A useful addon that shows you the progress of your raid saves across your characters. Useful if you run for mounts with multiple characters